Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Animal Print


I’m not a
huge fan of animal print. On some people it looks fabulous, but I don’t think everyone can carry off too much of it. Animal print makes a bold statement. It’s attention grabbing, wild and, well, animal. It needs to be done just right, or not at all. As Nina says:

“… there is a fine line between looking chic and looking tawdry when wearing an animal print.”

Yes:

Yes:

And, ummm…. No:

I only have two things with animal print on them:

A light, soft blue scarf I got off ebay:

A beat-up pair of suede flats:

There’s ways and ways of wearing it. The women working at the Hula Bula Bar truly rock leopard print. They’re funky and cool and lovely and wonderful and digging it. I love it on them, especially the leopard print tights.

I don’t wear animal print with the confidence it demands. Maybe I just don’t trust myself not to end up looking skanky. I’m OK with incorporating just a bit of animal print here and there, accessory-wise in particular, e.g. a zebra-stripe bag. Tiger stripe the same. Ocelot… hmmm. Giraffe….ummm… no. Best left to giraffes. They do it the best.

Do I like animal print? Sure!

Do I think animal print is essential? No. There’s not a single type of print – check, graphic, floral – that I would consider essential. It’s essential to have some kind of Print in the wardrobe somewhere, but not necessarily animal print.

No comments:

Post a Comment