Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A-line Dress

OK, this is the first item in The One Hundred, so it appears like we’re off to a Very. Bad. Start.

Nina Garcia says:

“With a good A-line, the fabric flows over perceived flaws or imperfections.”

With any true A-line, the fabric will probably hang from the widest point, meaning it will use boobs as overhang, “tenting” out rather than skimming over anything. They’re also not so great if you don’t like your legs (although opaque tights are miracle workers, really). A-lines are wonderful if you have a few lower-body lumps and bumps you’d like to disguise.

The A-line dress is certainly not for all body shapes, and certainly not for mine. It does not balance out a top-heavy silhouette; we are human beings, not 2-D geometric figures! Before reading Nina Garcia’s book, however, I was in need of such a go-to item, although I didn’t know it. I knew I needed something, because some occasions left me tearing my hair out at what to wear. Nina (from now on I’m going to call her by her first name, what the hell) pointed me in the right direction – a pull-on-at-a-moment’s-notice, go-anywhere, dress-up, dress-down kind of dress.

In fact, I found two!

The first is a Jane Lamerton boat-neck patterned shift. It appears to me to draw inspiration from a Chloe dress with a similar pattern, but is longer and in a jersey:

Boat-necks can be “iffy” on me as I have large shoulders and a reasonable bust. However, this one has enough weight in the fabric to be reasonably forgiving. Also, a higher neckline can cover a less-than-perfect decollatage, so it’s pretty handy.

The second dress is a Diane Von Furstenburg pull-on silk jersey dress. It’s a very “day” dress due to the pattern and navy colour, and so not as versatile as the Lamerton. The v-neck is more flattering on me, but the ruching around the bust is slightly problematic, but isn’t a huge issue:

The straight skirt is flattering and simple, and isn’t subject to the whims of the strong winds which my town can experience.

These two dresses are basically Shift Dresses, and together see me covered for all sorts of occasions: work, work events, casual weddings, cocktails, parties, etc. I’m not a big dress-wearer, but they’re good to have on hand.


A Little Note on Current Dress Design and Human Anatomy:

Now, what I like about being in my 40s, is that now I know what I like and am more confident in what suits me. For instance, I don’t wear (or buy) empire line or high-waisted dresses, despite the fact that 98% of all dresses in stores have for the past 3 years been empire line. Why every single designer and manufacturer would choose to churn out the same single style for years on end to the exclusion of all others is a bit mystifying. For reference, my waist is somewhere between my ribs and my hips, not under my armpits or directly under my boobs or around my ribcage. Crazy, I know.

2 comments:

  1. The a-line SKIRT works for me, but it has to go from a definite waistband, otherwise I look like Mama Cass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Separates are easier than dresses in that regard, aren't they? You can get just the right shape at both ends rather than trying to find the combination in one piece. How many dresses have A-lines coming out of their armpits these days? Heaps! Everyone looks preggers!

    ReplyDelete