Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Denim Jacket

Just as a pair of jeans can make a tuxedo jacket turn hip and edgy, a denim jacket can make a pair of basic sharp black trousers relax. I have a lovely, fitted, classic design worn dark blue jacket from Marcs that I’ve had for years. It just gets better and softer with age, too.

Nina thinks that the denim should be either very dark or very worn. What you’re supposed to do in the time between very dark and very worn is anyone’s guess. She also thinks that it should be very fitted or a size too small, and that’s fine if you don’t have to use your arms. I think the only tricks to buying a denim jacket are the following:

  1. Style – classic or deconstructed or minimalist, just make sure it’s consistent with the rest of your stuff.
  2. Size – if you’re only going to wear it with t-shirts you can go for your “true” size, but if you think you’re going to want to wear knits under it, you’ll probably want to go up a size.

And, while rules are made to be broken, I reckon denim-on-denim – of any colour - is still a no-no. It just looks wrong. I’m sure Chloe Sevigny has done it, and it probably still looked wrong on her, too, and that woman could wear a hessian sack and make it look cool. Just say no.

1 comment:

  1. Double denim is wrong. God invented the leather jacket to avoid double denim. I used to have a very nice little denim jacket. I'm not sure when we parted company, but I haven't seen one I've really loved since.

    ReplyDelete