Saturday, February 6, 2010

Clutch

Yes, a clutch is indispensible. I found myself on holiday recently having forgotten to pack one, and it meant having to buy a generic, silver satin one I really didn’t need long-term.

I’ve just recently (today!) successfully hunted down my lemming of an large clutch with removal straps, decorated with enough detail or with enough interest of texture to stand on its own as embellishment. While I would loved Mulberry’s Ava clutch. I couldn’t justify the expense right now. Plus, this one was only $40, is in a faux suede-like fabric to which I can pin brooches and ribbons, and is from a lovely local shop called Gioia.

The tassel and the chain are removable.

This isn’t just a case of being a fashion victim. I think for me, an oversized clutch will look much better than my usual overstuffed purse. Those teeny tiny little evening bags are pretty baubles, and pretty useless. Keys, credit card, cash, lipstick, glasses, compact, tissues, mobile phone and pen are essentials. Where is there room for these things in a 12cm evening bag? Yes, I’ve crammed everything into those little, satiny, delicately-beaded things, only to have them end up looking like mis-shapen glittery lumps in my hand, bursting at the seams. If the assumption is that we have pockets, then the bag designers really need to have a sit down and a chat with evening wear designers (if they are the same people, well, heaven help them). If the assumption is that there is a bloke around with pockets, they need to think again as well. If the assumption is that my ladies-in-waiting will carry all this for me, well, bless, but the ladies seem to be absent. I’m convinced that large and luxe is the way to go.

In my hunt, I found lots of pythony-patterned clutches, but I’m not so into those. I also found some nice examples from Trent Nathan and Jag, but they were a bit too “business” for what I needed. Zu Shoes had some nice ones, I and still might give these a second look. No harm in looking, is there?

1 comment:

  1. I don't do clutches - I need both hands free for cocktails and canapes. But my evening bags all have enough space for all those things (except the glasses, because I usually wear contacts at an event posh enough for an evening bag).

    ReplyDelete