Thursday, March 11, 2010

Gentleman's Hat

Nina likes fedoras, trilbys, etc. She probably looks great in them!

I look OK in hats, but I usually look better in women’s hats. Maybe they’re not as “cool”, but they look better on me. I’m not sure what that says about my face, my hair or the shape of my head, but there it is.

Whatever shape of head, however, hats are not just optional accessories.

When you live in a country which is riddled with skin cancer, where sunscreen is worn every day and the mantra of “Slip, slop, slap is drummed into children’s heads before they even start school, hats are not just fashion items, they’re survival items. We don’t have to be outdoors-types, either. In summer, just 10 minutes sun exposure can get you burning. In outdoors stores, hats and other clothing come with UPF ratings. I have a couple of hats with UPF 40, and they are essential for any outdoors activity between 10am and 5pm. I don’t know what the UPF rating is for the woven trilbys which have been all the rage this year, but I can’t imagine it would be much.

If you live in a cold country, then proper hats are just as important for keeping you warm and protecting your ears from biting cold. I’m not sure a trilby would do well in a Scandinavian winter.

So, while a gentleman’s hat does not get into my One Hundred, hats in general do. Hats, like scarves, can finish a casual outfit, hide a bad hair day and provide portable, personal shade. Hats are essential items for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment