Thursday, March 11, 2010

Havaianas

Now, I’m not sure about Nina’s version of historical events, but thongs (not g-strings, but footwear) have been around in Oz for a very long time. Half-joking referred to as “Australian safety boots”, they’ve been part of the national dress for as long as anyone can remember. The ubiquitous rubber versions have been able to be purchased from supermarkets, shoe shops and servos since the 1960s at least.

The first thongs-as-we-know-them are thought to have come from New Zealand in the 1950s (not Brazil in the 1970s) and they called them “jandals”.

And even then, I’m pretty sure the Japanese had zōri a fair few years before that.

That said, I loves me Havs. I practically live in them all summer. They are soft and pretty and no-fuss. Definite must-haves. Pun intended.


No comments:

Post a Comment