Saturday, April 3, 2010

Hobo Bag

Nina describes the hobo bag as a “perfect everyday bag”, and it does have a lot going for it. A hobo has one handle or strap to be swung over a shoulder, plenty of room, and thousands of different stylish interpretations. From Gucci classic to sew-your-own fabric versions, there’s a hobo for just about any occasion.

In that montage in The Devil Wears Prada, when Miranda Priestly dumps a daily bag and coat combination on Andy’s desk, how many of those bags are hobos? (I don’t know this - it’s an actual question! I think many of them are, however).

Not as fiddly as a satchel, not as bulky as a tote, more flexible than a frame bag (it’s Super-bag!) a hobo is never “placed” it is flung. I only have one hobo, when it’s being used, it gets used a lot.

I don’t have a million dollars-worth of bags, but I have a few handbags “on rotation” – I’m not a one-bag-to-rule-them-alll type of person. There’s the big black work tote, the soft washed-grey weekend tote, the hands-free messenger for when I’m out and about and busy, but the hobo is one of the most handy.

If you don’t have a hobo bag, why not?

1 comment:

  1. I have several bags - a fairly structured large black one for work days, a pink less-structured one for summer, about 3 others. But no hobo. It's just never seemed necessary.

    ReplyDelete