Friday, January 22, 2010

Black Opaque Tights

Hello! I’ve returned, in one piece despite the best efforts of plagues of gastro and torrential downpours. The cruise was a bit of a mess, to be honest, but we managed to have some fun, anyway. I saw some wonderful cossies on the cruise, too, all colours and all styles, from skirted one-pieces to not-really-there stringy bikinis. I’m happy to report very few horrors! Black mark goes to the lovely young woman wearing the trite Oz flag bikini, though. So much potential… Anyway, to continue…

Black opaque tights are miracle-workers. They lengthen legs, smooth out bumps, move seamlessly from day to night, cover formal to casual, are snag-resistant, cover hair and stubble, and can actually keep you warm, too. They are unbeatable with suede or microsuede shoes and boots.

Nina loves Wolford tights, and so do I, but they’re difficult to source where I am. Wolford are seriously expensive but seriously, seriously good, and they out-class and outlast any other brand. They are also truly opaque. If you’ve never tried them, treat yourself one day! Aside from Wolford, Levante do some good 70 and 80 denier opaques. I haven’t had too much success with supermarket brands like Kolotex. They might wear well the first couple of times, but after that they start to shrink or stretch or pill or lose their stretch, no matter how carefully I wash them. I buy them, but I don’t keep them for long.

It might sound odd, but I wear skirts and dresses more in the colder months than in summer. It’s primarily due to my love of opaque tights, and my dislike of bare legs in the office and my dislike of sheer hose. (I also don’t have legs for days. Mine only go for a couple of incredibly brief seconds. I swear they’re only just long enough to accommodate my knees and ankles. Black opaque tights make my stumpy little pegs look more in proportion!)

1 comment:

  1. I wear more skirts in summer too - partly because it is easier to keep warm in skirts than in trousers when wet hems wick up your legs.

    M&S opaques are brilliant.

    The one time I really can't deal with black opaques is when they are visible in pastel coloured peeptoe shoes. Who thought that was a good idea?

    ReplyDelete