Monday, January 25, 2010

Brooch



I love brooches, because I love pretty things. However, while I have a few both new and vintage, I don’t find myself wearing them much. I think it’s because once I’ve donned a pair of earrings and a bracelet or two, I think that’s enough embellishment, and I’m never without earrings.

Maybe it’s because some brooches tend to stand out on their own, calling attention to themselves rather than their wearer. Or worse, calling attention to the wearer’s chest. I’m completely over having tedious “Hello, how are they?” conversations with idiot blokes, so the positioning of a brooch has to be strategic, even if it’s not really going to increase anyone’s IQ. The idea of pinning brooches to a hat or bag or scarf, or to the shoulders or hip of a gown is much more appealing than the usual place around the chest somewhere.

I recently had to use a brooch to gather in a tunic dress that was a little too big around the hips. I thanked Nina sincerely that I had included a single brooch in my jewellery bag, and I cursed myself that I hadn’t taken a few more brooches along!

Do brooches make my list of 100 essentials? All in all, probably not, although they certainly get an honourable mention.

2 comments:

  1. I like brooches. I use them to preserve my modesty in wrap dresses and when I have lost a button on a cardigan and haven't got around to replacing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many do you have, Foody? The pic above has a few of mine.

    ReplyDelete