Monday, January 25, 2010

Cable-Knit Sweater

Nina loves the preppy look, and I suppose the cable-knit is part of that. I’m not much of a fan of “preppy”. Maybe it’s a class thing. I think it can look incredibly pretentious unless it’s truly “owned” by the wearer, and I don’t own “preppy”. Again, I try to dress, I try not to dress up. Sure, dressing up is fun, but I’m not going to build my day-to-day wardrobe around a character or stereotype.

Also, as per the Boyfriend Cardigan item, I’m just not a chunky knit person. I’ve had cable knits in the past, and I didn’t wear them much. They overwhelm and stifle me. I’ll also grab a cardigan before a jumper.

Nina contends that:
“The cable-knit sweater sends that message of casual indifference (“Oh, just something I threw on”). And yet it also sends a message of supreme style (“…but I knew what I was doing”). And one must always send a message.”

I can’t say I agree with this, but maybe I just haven’t seen the right knitwear. The message it sends to me is either, “I’m freezing”, or “My gran knits”.

Nina also recommends a white cable-knit as a travel staple. WHITE?! She and I must travel very differently, because no way is white travel-friendly, and cable-knit can also be terribly heavy and bulky. My travel knits are fine-denier and are black, grey or navy. For what they lose in glamour, they gain in practicality.

Again, the cardigan makes my 100. The cable knit sweater doesn’t even get a look-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment