Monday, January 25, 2010

Camel Coat

The colour “camel” and variations of, all look crap on me. They do not suit me at all. I have a black cashmere/wool blend coat I wear in winter.

The item “Camel Coat” is replaced in My One Hundred by “warm wool coat”. It can be any colour you like: red, white, blue, green, check, print, whatever. You don’t need to look like a 40s icon or a Lady Who Lunches. You don’t need to play dress-ups. You need to be warm. You need something that fits over other clothes. You need something long enough to protect your legs a bit from those winter winds. You need it in a classic style which suits you and where you need to go. You need it in an easy-care fabric that falls beautifully and doesn’t pill.

On the other hand, if you live in the tropics, you don’t need a thick coat at all. A colleague of mine who lives in the tropics was to do a stint in Canberra, in the middle of winter. He was quite confident in what he’d packed, “I’m OK. I’ve packed my jumper.” He thought his sole piece of winter wear was going to be sufficient, bless his little light cotton socks.

Yes, he froze his nuts off before buying a proper coat, but he’s probably not used it since.

3 comments:

  1. Does she mean camel as a colour or a fibre? My mum had a camel-hair cape in the 70s, it was fab. I haven't seen a need for one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mostly as a colour, although Nina does say that if you want to spend, go for actual camel. Coat? Yes. Camel? Not necessarily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm - in that case no. While I have a classic sand-coloured trench coat, and a bright red peacoat, my overcoats are usually charcoal or black.

    ReplyDelete