Sunday, April 25, 2010

Khakis

By “khakis”, Nina means tan casual pants. Again with the preppy. Again, totally not me. However, some kind of trousery thing that’s somewhere between suit trousers and jeans is definitely required.

In the place of khakis, I would put capri pants. I wear these every other day in summer, and even have a tailored pair which can go to the office. My capris aren’t the polyester, elastic waisted, permanent press type of things you sometimes see which are basically elongated shorts. I have them in black tailored and cuffed, black wide with wrap waist, denim wide with wrap waist, denim straight, dark khaki cargo-like (think Sass & Bide Crackerjacs), and light blue straight fine twill. All of these get decent wear over summer, and sometimes into winter with boots.

Crackerjacs are the cargos

of the capri world

(or the capris of the cargo world?)


By the way, don’t let anyone tell you that short legs mean no capris. It’s nonsense, because it’s all about proportion, cut and styling. I have really short legs, and I can wear slim tailored capris easily, and can wear them with heels or heeled knee-high boots or ballet flats and cropped jackets and still look in proportion and fine. They don’t “cut my legs off”. When you have people asking where you got that item of clothing (and they’re not screwing their face up!), you know that for sure you’re doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment