Monday, April 26, 2010

Lingerie

My first reaction was: right, as if I’d go commando.

As I read through Nina’s chapter, however, I discovered that she was talking about frilly frippery. The sort you can’t wear under anything without it showing. The sort that is uncomfortable and scratchy and must match at all times. The sort which is expensive and which sits at the back of the undies drawer while the rest of the less exotic gear gets on with day-to-day life.

Camisole? Yes, but please not under blazers and jackets as suggested by Nina. Undies as outies is so 80s, and frankly a bit trashy for the office.

Silk slip? Yes, OK. Silk-y, maybe. No reason it has to be silk.

Negligee? Nah. A slinky nightie from Peter Alexander will do just as well without the somewhat laughable earnestness which can accompany such frivolous items.

Silk stockings because they drive men wild? Don’t know about men, but they’d certainly do my head in.

There are very stylish women out there who wear proper, trussed-up frilly lingerie every day as a matter of course and love it dearly. I am not one of them. Give me Bonds, Jockey and Ambré. Give me t-shirt bras and biniki briefs in lycra and cotton, give me invisibility and comfort. This doesn’t mean it has to be frumpy granny knickers and wide straps with iron clasps suitable for comrades toiling for the glory of the Motherland, either. Fine Lines, for instance, make glamourous and luxurious basics which are functional and beautiful AND comfortable. Some people find basics boring, but I never find sleek comfort dull.

I really don’t need frills and spills to feel sexy or glamourous. A good pair of heels is enough for that, and a great lumpy VPL won’t do at all. Bridget Jones understood that wearing big granny knickers was a sure way to use Murphy’s Law to her own advantage. I’ll bet she wasn’t wrenching them out of her arse all evening, either.

Frilly lingerie doesn’t even make it into my Two Hundred, let alone One Hundred.

3 comments:

  1. I don't do frilly but I do do pretty and lacy. Fine lines are good but I tend to do all my lingere shopping via Intimo which is an Australian company that does home parties and is brilliant! I think we have been using them
    for 6 years and we all love them as they do everyday and a pretty and take the pain out of shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cotton knickers for every day, bias-cut silk nighties for summer. I like pretty, but not often lacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HH, I'm not a fan of party-plan. I drink too much and then buy stuff I don't need. Shopping-under-the-influence is to be avoided! Maybe it's because my darker skin shows up through most lace, or because lace always seems scratchy to me, I just can't handle it.

    Foody, bias-cuts are brilliant. Don't we have Galliano to thank for reviving that?

    Whenever I think of "negligee", I picture some dreadful chiffon-and-fur babydoll thing teamed with heeled silver slippers, worn by a young blonde with a finger in her face, looking spaced-out, vacant, moronic or all three at once if she's really talented. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete